The Casa Guilherme de Almeida biographical-literary museum is run by the State of São Paulo's Department of Culture and Poiesis – Civil Society Organization for Culture.

Inaugurated in March 1979, the museum that was also the home of Guilherme de Almeida from 1946 until his death in 1969 houses nowadays objects from the private collection of this poet, linguist, journalist and lawyer who is recognized as one of the intellectual founders of the Brazilian modernist movement.

The collection on exhibition at the Casa Guilherme de Almeida contains many works of art (engravings, sketches, sculptures and paintings) bestowed on the poet by artists such as Anita Malfatti, Tarsila do Amaral, Emiliano di Cavalcanti, Lasar Segall and Victor Brecheret; all of whom contributed greatly to the Brazilian modernist movement.

The museum also includes the writer's extensive and diversified library, a collection of newspaper and magazines and photographic archives as well as the set of rare furniture and ornaments carefully selected and acquired by Guilherme and his wife, Baby de Almeida, throughout their life. Visitors can also browse artifacts related to one of São Paulo’s most important historical movements and one in which the poet was a key figure, the Revolução Constitucionalista (Constitutionalist Revolution, 1932).

The Casa Guilherme de Almeida was established not only to preserve historical artifacts related to the poet's life, it also strives to disseminate his works through the intensive cultural program designed to encompass all Guilherme's diverse interests and activities; courses, workshops, lectures, round tables and recitals provide the opportunity for visitors to learn more about his life and works.

Guilherme de Almeida was productive in many areas, but it was the renown he gained for the excellence of his poetry translations that motivated the museum to create a Center for Literary Translation Studies, which offers a range of activities related to translation theory and practice.

After extensive renovation and refurbishment, the museum was reopened to the public in December 2010 and now welcomes visitors from Tuesday through Sunday, 10:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.


Visitação e agendamento para grupos
55 11 3672-1391 | 3868-4128
Programação cultural: 55 11 4096-9801

R. Macapá, 187 - Perdizes | CEP 01251-080 | São Paulo
Horário de funcionamento: terça a domingo, das 10h às 18h


Este site utiliza cookies e outras tecnologias semelhantes para melhorar a sua experiência em nossos serviços. Ao utilizar nossos serviços, você concorda com tal monitoramento.
Consulte sobre os Cookies e a Política de Privacidade para obter mais informações.